Open World Soccer Forum Index Open World Soccer
Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want some help ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bib

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Want some help ? Reply with quote

Hi,

First, sorry for my bad English I am French (yeah I know, there isa French section but it's like a desert).

I love Sensible soccer, i played it 10-15 years ago I think. As I'm developer and i saw your project, i instantly downloaded source code to see and compile it.

I would like to help you if you want, even if I'm not a good C++ developer (sorry, I work with MS environment, like Visual Studio and .Net framework and so C#).

I'm interested in developing IA, but would like to follow the way you want to go.

Tell me if you're interested.

Bib
Massimo32
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Want some help ? Reply with quote

Bib wrote:
Hi,
First, sorry for my bad English I am French (yeah I know, there is a French section but it's like a desert).

Hi Bib,
and welcome here.

Bib wrote:

I love Sensible soccer, i played it 10-15 years ago I think. As I'm developer and i saw your project, i instantly downloaded source code to see and compile it.

I would like to help you if you want, even if I'm not a good C++ developer (sorry, I work with MS environment, like Visual Studio and .Net framework and so C#).

I'm interested in developing IA, but would like to follow the way you want to go.

Tell me if you're interested.

OWS is a new project based on our previous work:
Yoda Soccer

It's still in early development (alpha), so the direction of develoment it's not well defined yet. Also it's my first project in C++.

At present I'm not searching for help in any specific area, but I encourage you to take a look at the code and let me have some feedback.
Bib

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok no problem I'll have a look at the code and give you feedbacks.

I already saw Yoda Soccer, but on my machine, it doesn't work (Windows 7). However I didn't spend much time in resolving the problem.

I thought OWS was the successor of Yoda Soccer but apparently, Yoda Soccer isn't dead that's right ?

Do you plan to port most of the yoda soccer code or do you want to have a "completely" different game ?
Massimo32
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bib wrote:

I thought OWS was the successor of Yoda Soccer but apparently, Yoda Soccer isn't dead that's right ?

Right, we had some new development on Yoda Soccer: the goalkeeper ported back from OWS (0.75), and custom cups (0.76).

Bib wrote:

Do you plan to port most of the yoda soccer code or do you want to have a "completely" different game ?

We plan the two to share only the data and the match engine.
Bib

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

These 2 last days I had a quick look to the code. I must admit I was a bit lost to know how the program works.

I won't comment the graphics part as I'm very poor in this domain and don't know SDL library. But I love the graphics and the way players move, congrats !! This is Sensible spirit !! I also like the way you manage with screen transitions (the action queue)

I explain now my point of view on the code architecture. As I said before, I was lost mainly because all different parts of the program are not well separated. I mean, in class Player for example, you mix graphics, match context, AI...
The most significant thing is Player who inherits from Sprite, so I excepted a purely graphical object, but when looking into Sprite class, i saw a MachineState !!!
I never saw a graphical object thinking Smile

I am actually thinking about a new architecture based on "modules", I am currently trying to modelise it in UML format, I don't know if you'll find something useful or not, but it will show my way of seeing things.
Massimo32
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bib wrote:

The most significant thing is Player who inherits from Sprite, so I excepted a purely graphical object, but when looking into Sprite class, i saw a MachineState !!!
I never saw a graphical object thinking Smile

The original idea was to use another level in the object hierarchy:

- Image (plain graphics)
- Sprite (moving graphics with data for replay): has Data, has Image
- Character (thinking-moving-object): extends Sprite, has StateMachine

In this hierarchy, Player extends Character and Ball extends Sprite.

To shorten the hierarchy, I merged Sprite and Character (leaving a stateless brain for Ball).

Bib wrote:

I am actually thinking about a new architecture based on "modules", I am currently trying to modelise it in UML format, I don't know if you'll find something useful or not, but it will show my way of seeing things.

Great, I'm eager to see your point of view
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Open World Soccer Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: